Hello everyone!
It has been quite the week! I love my little island of Amager already!
It is pretty cool to get to serve in Copenhagen, even if it isn't the
center part of the city. First things first though....
It is pretty cool to get to serve in Copenhagen, even if it isn't the
center part of the city. First things first though....
The first couple days of the week were super fun and super stressful.
I got to be companions with Sister Player from my MTC group, which was
SO MUCH FUN. I love Sister Player. On Tuesday, we went to the office
and brought all of the newbies out into Copenhagen for their first
ever street contacting. That was funny, haha. At that point, we didn't
know who was going to be our companion, so it was like a guessing game
of finding who we worked well with. Wednesday we went and found out
who our new companions were going to be. AND I GOT THE BEST ONE. Her
name is Sister Holbrook and she is from North Salt Lake. Her mom is
from Denmark and her brother served here the same time as my brother,
so she already speaks really good Danish. Talk about tender mercies!
We get along super well and I love her so much already. It is going to
be an absolutely incredible transfer, I can tell.
This week was full of meeting members and walking and meeting
investigators and walking and buying stuff for the apartment and
walking and finding buses and walking. We walked a lot this week. I
miss my bike, but I should get it back this week! I also LOVE MY
BRANCH. Oh my goodness it is adorable. Our ward mission leader is from
Sweden, and him and his wife are officially one of my new favorite
families in the entire world. They were both ballet dancers (REALLY
REALLY GOOD ONES), but right now only Christina dances still. I'm
pretty sure that she is actually a part of the Royal company, so that
is really incredible. We ate lunch with them yesterday, and their
younger son ( about 1 1/2 years old) ran up to the older one (5 years)
and grabbed him in a bear hug from behind, and the older one just
starts yelling 'mooooooooooooooom! heeeeeeeelp!!!! HE IS GOING TO EAT
ME AGAIN!!!' Hahaha both of the parents were laughing and the mom just
casually looks at the younger son and says "Come now Elliot, can't
you remember that people usually don't appreciate it when we eat
them?" Man, I was laughing really hard. Things like that are a lot
funnier in Danish. I wish y'all could understand.
On Friday, we met an older Jehovah's Witness on the street. We don't
usually get along with them, but this one was especially not our
favorite. We tried to just tell her to have a good day and then move
on but she kept asking us questions, trying to trap us in our answers.
And then I would answer, about 3/4 of the way through my response, she
would realize that I knew what I was talking about and so she would
cut me off and say "mmm what? I can't understand you, you suck at
Danish." She could understand me. You all know how I get when I am
frustrated. It was very hard to keep my cool. and yet, somehow, I did!
Except for when she started insulting temples. Then I told her that
she needed to stop talking because that was a very sacred thing to me
and that I wouldn't listen to her speak about it that way. Luckily for
her, she understood me that time. The best part of the conversation,
however, was when we finally escaped and all of a sudden, Søster
Holbrook wasn't next to me. Naturally, I panicked a bit, because it is
not a good thing to lose your companion in Copenhagen on their first
week. But all of a sudden she appeared and grabbed my arm and said
'walk walk walk walk faster faster faster faster' and so we walked
away... and then she told me that she had run back and snuck an "I'm a
Mormon" pass along card into the lady's backpack so that she would
always know where to go when she had questions :) heheheheh I love
Sister Holbrook. So there ya go! That is what 10 minutes in the life
of us is like.
Another thing that I love about Søster Holbrook is her coping
mechanisms. Whenever she is talking to someone and she gets flustered
or can't remember a word, she just baaaa's like a goat and then looks
at me and says "heeelp?!". Also she gets really excited and randomly
hugs me when we are walking away from a good street contact or lesson.
I really do love her so much.
This morning, I was studying in Helaman and I found something that was
really incredible. In chapter 3 verses 27-28, it talks about how the
Lord's mercy is open to all who will ask with a sincere heart and that
the gate to Heaven is open to all who will believe on the Savior. I
just thought that was a beautiful reminder that it doesn't matter who
we are, where we live, or what we look like - if we want to be a part
of the happiness that is found from the gospel of Christ, we just have
to have a heart willing enough to accept it. The Lord is going to give
us as many chances as it takes in order for us to return to HIm. Don't
get discouraged, don't give up, and never stop trying to be better.
Keep your heart and your mind on the right path and you will see the
Lord's hand in your life.
Here's a fun question that I was pondering during church yesterday,
and I would love to hear what y'all think about it - We talk a lot
about being the Lord's hands. As a missionary, I am also His feet. I
walk the streets of Denmark seeking the lost sheep. However, the
Savior's most incredible feature wasn't his hands or his feet, it was
his heart. How can I be the Savior's heart while I am in Denmark? It
is interesting to think about. Let me know if you have any ideas :) I
hope that you all have a good week and that you remember to be happy.
It makes everything better if you just smile at yourself in the mirror
every morning. I miss you and I love you! Har det godt!
Søster Ludlow
I got to be companions with Sister Player from my MTC group, which was
SO MUCH FUN. I love Sister Player. On Tuesday, we went to the office
and brought all of the newbies out into Copenhagen for their first
ever street contacting. That was funny, haha. At that point, we didn't
know who was going to be our companion, so it was like a guessing game
of finding who we worked well with. Wednesday we went and found out
who our new companions were going to be. AND I GOT THE BEST ONE. Her
name is Sister Holbrook and she is from North Salt Lake. Her mom is
from Denmark and her brother served here the same time as my brother,
so she already speaks really good Danish. Talk about tender mercies!
We get along super well and I love her so much already. It is going to
be an absolutely incredible transfer, I can tell.
President O'Bryant, Sister Holbrook and I, and Sister O'Bryant
We are the two missionaries who had brothers who just served in Denmark - as companions!
investigators and walking and buying stuff for the apartment and
walking and finding buses and walking. We walked a lot this week. I
miss my bike, but I should get it back this week! I also LOVE MY
BRANCH. Oh my goodness it is adorable. Our ward mission leader is from
Sweden, and him and his wife are officially one of my new favorite
families in the entire world. They were both ballet dancers (REALLY
REALLY GOOD ONES), but right now only Christina dances still. I'm
pretty sure that she is actually a part of the Royal company, so that
is really incredible. We ate lunch with them yesterday, and their
younger son ( about 1 1/2 years old) ran up to the older one (5 years)
and grabbed him in a bear hug from behind, and the older one just
starts yelling 'mooooooooooooooom! heeeeeeeelp!!!! HE IS GOING TO EAT
ME AGAIN!!!' Hahaha both of the parents were laughing and the mom just
casually looks at the younger son and says "Come now Elliot, can't
you remember that people usually don't appreciate it when we eat
them?" Man, I was laughing really hard. Things like that are a lot
funnier in Danish. I wish y'all could understand.
usually get along with them, but this one was especially not our
favorite. We tried to just tell her to have a good day and then move
on but she kept asking us questions, trying to trap us in our answers.
And then I would answer, about 3/4 of the way through my response, she
would realize that I knew what I was talking about and so she would
cut me off and say "mmm what? I can't understand you, you suck at
Danish." She could understand me. You all know how I get when I am
frustrated. It was very hard to keep my cool. and yet, somehow, I did!
Except for when she started insulting temples. Then I told her that
she needed to stop talking because that was a very sacred thing to me
and that I wouldn't listen to her speak about it that way. Luckily for
her, she understood me that time. The best part of the conversation,
however, was when we finally escaped and all of a sudden, Søster
Holbrook wasn't next to me. Naturally, I panicked a bit, because it is
not a good thing to lose your companion in Copenhagen on their first
week. But all of a sudden she appeared and grabbed my arm and said
'walk walk walk walk faster faster faster faster' and so we walked
away... and then she told me that she had run back and snuck an "I'm a
Mormon" pass along card into the lady's backpack so that she would
always know where to go when she had questions :) heheheheh I love
Sister Holbrook. So there ya go! That is what 10 minutes in the life
of us is like.
mechanisms. Whenever she is talking to someone and she gets flustered
or can't remember a word, she just baaaa's like a goat and then looks
at me and says "heeelp?!". Also she gets really excited and randomly
hugs me when we are walking away from a good street contact or lesson.
I really do love her so much.
really incredible. In chapter 3 verses 27-28, it talks about how the
Lord's mercy is open to all who will ask with a sincere heart and that
the gate to Heaven is open to all who will believe on the Savior. I
just thought that was a beautiful reminder that it doesn't matter who
we are, where we live, or what we look like - if we want to be a part
of the happiness that is found from the gospel of Christ, we just have
to have a heart willing enough to accept it. The Lord is going to give
us as many chances as it takes in order for us to return to HIm. Don't
get discouraged, don't give up, and never stop trying to be better.
Keep your heart and your mind on the right path and you will see the
Lord's hand in your life.
and I would love to hear what y'all think about it - We talk a lot
about being the Lord's hands. As a missionary, I am also His feet. I
walk the streets of Denmark seeking the lost sheep. However, the
Savior's most incredible feature wasn't his hands or his feet, it was
his heart. How can I be the Savior's heart while I am in Denmark? It
is interesting to think about. Let me know if you have any ideas :) I
hope that you all have a good week and that you remember to be happy.
It makes everything better if you just smile at yourself in the mirror
every morning. I miss you and I love you! Har det godt!
No comments:
Post a Comment